The United States 2023 Top Small Businesses
On October 19, 2023, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce held its first America’s Top Small Business gala to honor this year’s seven regional finalists, who were chosen from a pool of nearly 15,000 applicants, and also announced the grand prize winner, who took home the $25,000 cash prize!
ICSB recognizes the U.S. Chamber initiative and congratulates all the finalists and winner.
The U.S. Chamber announced that our 2023 grand prize winner for America’s Top Small Business:
Winner: Elderly Instruments of Lansing, Michigan!
Elderly Instruments, our Great Lakes region finalist, is a family-owned music shop with a mission of being a welcoming musical haven where all people, regardless of their background or musical experience, can play and purchase affordable, quality fretted instruments and accessories at great prices.
Now on its second generation of leadership, Lillian Werbin, daughter of co-founder Stan Werbin, runs the establishment with a staff of nearly 40 full-time employees and remains dedicated to valuing not only her team but also her community, taking part in revitalizing Old Town Lansing and actively supporting both national and local nonprofit initiatives that lift the voices of the LGBTQ+ community and people of color within the bluegrass genre.
[Read more about Elderly Instruments here: Elderly Instruments Aims to Be a ‘Conservator of Musical Heritage’]
The U.S. Chamber also announced the finalists for America’s Top Small Business. The finalists showed exemplary levels of business leadership, ambition, and passion. To learn more about our finalists, check out their profiles below.
- Alaska Premier Auctions & Appraisals LLC—Anchorage, AK (Northwest region finalist)
- Calgo Gardens—Freehold, NJ (Eastern region finalist)
- Read more: Calgo Gardens Offers ‘Harmony by Design’
- P.L.A.Y. Pet Lifestyle And You—San Francisco, CA (Western region finalist)
- River Rock Outfitter—Fredericksburg, VA (Southeastern region finalist)
- Shakopee Brewhall – Taproom & Coffee House—Shakopee, MN (Midwest region finalist)
- Waggin’ Tails Pet Ranch—Fulshear, TX (Southwest/South Central region finalist)